Hamas War

Thursday, July 6, 2017

Deteriorating Writing Skills Back to Symbols

This was first published in Israel Blogger

At the same time that modern man is so proud of his/her technological advances, we're rapidly losing writing skills. And it's not just the fact that the "younger generation" doesn't seem to know basic grammar, and I always find grammatical, punctuation and capitalization mistakes in various publications. Just today, I realized that the quick Whatsapp note I had sent to a friend was no more than modern "hieroglyphics," or some strange international "picture language."
馃槖馃槉 ❔
Do you know what I had asked? I think it's pretty obvious. I asked how he was feeling. You know that I can write words, sentences, blog posts and articles. I touch type, the best and most useful thing I ever learned in school, on a proper keyboard. But when it comes to my phone, I look for the easy way out.

To be honest, I'm not an expert in the emoji. I just use them in whatever way makes sense to me and hope that the recipient understands my meaning.

It' so ironic. Davka, yesterday I was in the Bible Lands Museum, and one of the exhibits was about the development of written language, how it progressed from symbols to phonetic letters.


I'm pretty sure that most of us have been adding more and more symbols to our writing, since so much of our writing, even on the computer keyboard, offers the opportunity to add a smile, heart or whatever suits our fancy or message.

What do you think about it? Have you also begun using these cute communicative symbols?

2 comments:

Batya said...

Thanks. Good point. On highways and roads all over the world they try to use symbols, too, which would make visitors understand the rules.

lea said...

Any of you see that movie Idiocracy!!??